What Does % PG/%VG Mean? What Kind Of E-Liquid Do I Order?

by Christina Jones on February 9, 2011

vegetable-glycerine What are all of those choices when ordering e-liquid?  40/60, 20/80, 50/50??  What does it all mean??

E-liquid is a mixture of varying amounts of about 4 different ingredients.  Nicotine, PG (propylene glycol), VG (vegetable glycerin) and flavoring.  Some liquids can have additional ingredients, but for the most part, these are the main ingredients to all e-liquid.

The amount of nicotine is dependent on the strength of nicotine in your e-liquid, but let’s say it is around 10% nicotine.  Somewhere around 10% of your e-liquid will be flavoring.  That leaves 80% of the liquid in your bottle for fillers, which dilute the flavoring and the nicotine.  This is where PG and VG come in, and depending on how you like your vape, that determines the percentage of PG and VG in your e-liquid.

Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is a thick, sweet liquid.  VG produces luscious clouds of vapor.  VG also imparts a sweeter taste to your liquid.

Propylene Glycol (PG) is a much thinner tasteless liquid.  PG produces more of a “throat hit” than VG does, which simulates the feel of smoking better.  PG also has a higher rate of sensitivity for some people, meaning that some people just can’t use PG in their vape.

My recommendation is to start out with a 50/50 mix of PG and VG in your e-liquid.  Then after you have tried it, you can make adjustments on your next order.  If you aren’t getting enough throat hit to satisfy you, then next time try a 30/70 VG/PG mix.  If you want more pillowy clouds of smoke, then maybe a 70/30 VG/PG mix is for you.

This, along with the information about choosing the right amount of nicotine for you, should take care of any questions you might have when placing an order.  The only thing left to decide is which of the myriad of available flavors you would like to try – and the size (start small, then if you love the flavor, go big!)!

I know it’s confusing at first, but you will soon get the hang of it – I promise!

Shop for e-liquid at the Vapegeek Store!

{ 41 comments… read them below or add one }

Tony May 28, 2012 at 9:43 am

Thank you! I found this very helpful! Gotta love the web.

DC June 2, 2014 at 3:40 am

Lorie Folk August 25, 2012 at 12:59 am

Very helpful, thank you!

Christina Jones August 25, 2012 at 8:18 am

Thanks you guys – it is good to know someone reads all this stuff! :)

rodrigo January 7, 2014 at 9:54 pm

reading from brazil!! :)
really helpful

John September 22, 2012 at 8:30 am

Thanks. I like the VG which is sweet.

gayle October 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thank you!!!!!! Geeze I was so lost lol =0)

Valera October 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm

This is the perfect guide. Start at 50, if you want more smoke then go more VG, if you dont feel the smoke partion of it, then go for PG. Thanks! i tried to explain this to a friend, but this is better.

Michael October 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Thank you for this guide, it was just what I was looking for and very helpful. A 50/50 blend seems to be working good for me, but it is good to know what PG/VG actually is, so I can be more informed about what changing their values will do.
THanks!

paul October 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hi, just have a general question. Is it possable that i am aleergic to The PG lquid it seems to make my eyes and sinusis puffy?

Christina Jones October 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Everyone – thanks again for letting me know this is helpful to you. Maybe it will kick me in the butt to get some more writing done! ;)

Paul – I answered you via email, but I am going to paste it here as well, in case someone else who meanders by might get some benefit from it.

It is likely you have a sensitivity, at least, to the PG. In the year and a half I have been in business, one of the most surprising things to me is how many people are at least a little sensitive to PG. I understood when I started in this business that it was really a rarity, and probably a full blown allergy is rare, but sensitivities I have found to be fairly common. Probably 1 in 10 people or so, I have found. The symptoms I have seen range from coughing, throat irritation, chest pains and yes, even one with sinus problems. Now, PG is really drying to you, so you want to be sure and drink plenty of liquids (water, preferably). It is possible that you are a little dehydrated and that is the sinus problem you are seeing. If I were you, I would do two things – first, start making a real effort to increase your water intake, especially while you are vaping. And second, get a juice with 100% VG and try it for a week and see what difference it makes. I would try the water first, order some juice, and then try the juice, so you arent doing both trials at the same time.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Thanks again, yall. :) And good luck figuring it out (again) Paul!

Edwardo55 November 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hi Christina,
This was very helpful. I have been buying product from various websites but would be interested in checking out what you have. (You said you were in business) Do you have a website showing pricing and whatnot?
Thanks.
-E

Christina Jones November 11, 2012 at 1:53 am

Hi Edwardo – Thanks so much. I do have a website, and you are here. :) Click the links to the left for the individual item categories, or the “Shop Vapegeek” button on the red navigation bar above to go to the storefront. Or just click right here. :)

Rizal January 10, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hye there, i just wondering, is it possible to just use VG rather than mix VG & PG? Thanks

Amanda January 22, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Thank you. this site is SO USEFUL!!!! :)

Rvgirl January 23, 2013 at 5:16 am

It’s important to note that the combination you use will only work with certain clearomizers. For example, I tried to use another company’s e-liquid that is 60% PG and 40% VG with the V2 LiquiMax clearomizers (V2 Premium e-liquid is pure PG) and it clogs up the clearomizer and won’t vape. I’ve found this out recently and it’s very frustrating.

Leann T November 24, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Good to know, thank u for that comment! I mix my juices all the time, and some have different PG/VG ratios… I have I Mini Pro-Tank 2 by KangerTech (I know it’s small, but it works for me) :) but I noticed I had to change my atomizer sooner then I thought I would…

robert March 1, 2013 at 4:26 am

amigos gostaria de fazer uma pergunta: Eu comprei uma base de vg usp e a essencia de tabacco sem nicotina. Como não tenho pg gostaria de saber se o vaper vai ficar bom utilizando somente VG + essencia. Caso positivo gostaria de saber qual a dosagem de VG + essencia. lembrado que uso o EGo tank uma vez que muito provavel somente VG vai ficar muito espesso e devido a isso o pavio nao consiga sulgar o produto para dentro do atomizador. gratos

Chris March 4, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thank you! Really appreciate the explanation. You answered my questions!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Tariq March 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I saw a website selling e-liquid and having different % of VG. I’m confused which level should I order. I like a balanced between cloudy and taste .

0% VG
20% VG
33% VG MEL Custom Blend
40% VG
50% VG
* Flavor Strength:
Light
Medium
Full

Christina Jones March 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Hi Tariq – if you like a balance, I would start out with the 50% VG, then you can adjust from there if that doesn’t quite get things perfect for you. All of the liquids I made are at a 50/50 level, and most people are happy with them at that level. I know I am, so maybe you will be too. Good luck! If you would like to try ours, you can find them right here: [Link to VapeGEEK e-liquids]

Toni June 5, 2013 at 12:55 am

Just bought some “Pure Hookah” liquid from a local smoke shop
& it says 20/80 Eg-Pg,
Any idea what the Eg is? I can’t find this anywhere online & am a little nervous to use it.

Thanks!

joemarnialla August 3, 2013 at 2:09 am

DOES THE VG CONTENT OF E JUICES CAUSES DIABETES?? ANY STUDIES REGARDING ABOUT THIS FACTOR..

jokiss September 6, 2013 at 8:02 am

Goodthing i’ve found this page. thax a lot!!!!=)

Alvin Yong October 14, 2013 at 8:31 am

Thanks for this useful information! Now i know what’s the different between VG & PG! I am planning to open a store in my place which sell good E-juice and E-cig parts of course =) Wish me luck ^.^

Kimberly October 28, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I started vaping about 2 months ago. Recently, I have started itching on my hands, face, ears and chest. It was so bad that I had to make an appointment with my doctor to get a shot for the constant itching. I’ve been trying to figure out what was making me itch the way I am. I haven’t changed laundry detergents, bath soaps nothing. Come to find out, the place where I buy my juice mixes theirs at 80% PG and 20% VG. I am allergic to the high amounts of PG in their juice. I’ve lowered the amount of PG and no more itching! Thank the Lord!!!!

Steve November 16, 2013 at 6:46 pm

That is sooo helpful!! Thanks!! I just started this summer and I’m totally hooked!! I haven’t smoked tobacco since the 4th of July!! Now I know I prefer 60/40 vg/pg

Leann T November 24, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Thank you this was very helpful!! :)!! I was wondering what the PG/VG ratio meant, glad I know now ^_^

Leann T November 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I was curious what the PG/VG ratio stood for on my juice bottles! Glad I know now, thank you very much for the helpful info!! ^_^

Colby January 8, 2014 at 8:05 am

Nice i was wondering what this meant! I tried the 50/50 but to much of a throat hit, which makes me cough, id rather go the 30/70 for the smokier hit! THanks much :)

Betty January 12, 2014 at 7:48 am

Thanks for posting this. I’m a vape noob and couldn’t figure out what 30/70 meant!

Mikes eliquids January 19, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Just wanted to clarify regarding the nicotene content. Nic is measured in miligrams per the amount of juice. Example 10 mg / ml. There is not 10% nicotene because that amount would cause death.

Mik February 13, 2014 at 4:26 am

Thank you so much but I think I’m weird cause I don’t use nicotine I throw up all the time

Olivia March 3, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Hey guys… i currently am using a 30/70 mix but I keep getting a burnt hit on even brand new attys.. no matter what battery i switch to or tank i switch to i get one frequently… not only that i feel like my atty keeps getting clogged… any tips?

AMD March 5, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I know this is pretty old at this point, but in response to Toni – the only EG I can think of that would work from a chemical standpoint is ethylene glycol (to give you a better idea what that means, “prop” means “three” of something, while “eth-” means two of something. In this case, you’re talking about the same somethings, just less of them when you go from propylene to ethylene. That said, there’s a huge difference between the two, being that ethylene glycol is extremely hazardous to your health and should not ever be used in food or drink – which would lead me to think it should not be vaped, either. So hopefully you never used it. Anyway, that’s just a best guess.
Thanks for the informative site here, been wondering about pg/vg for a little while!

Danny March 14, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Hi Guys :-)

Been off the fags for 3 months now by using e-cigs, started out using the pack from V2, but needed more battery power so have this week opted for a EGo CE5 system, with the wickless system, One big issue is the vapour! I dont seem to be getting enough, I have been using “HANGSEN” liquid, but have tried 70/30 and 80/20 and still very little vapour? question is – Is this due to the liquids or the new EGo CE5 pack? the batteries seem ok, but its like sucking thin air????? (have ordered 50/50 in the hope this will fix things! but any news from you guys about what I might be doing wrong is appreciated :-)

David April 1, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Thanks for all the

guidance and advice. I’m completely new to this and have now moved up to the type of e-smoke that I can refill rather than the off the shelf disposable ones. I’m currently testing pre-mixed various sorts of flavours. I wanted to know how I could make my own and what the ingredients did other than the obvious Nicotine. I can’t find a site like this in the UK yet so yours was a welcome sight packed with loads of useful info !! Thanks for a great read :-)

Jeffery April 6, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Thank you for this info. Very helpful. My question is about flavor. I was using some blueberry and banana that my brother bought for me. I’ve been vaping and not smoking for 4 months now, and that’s promising considering I’ve been smoking 1+ packs a day for 35 years. I recently purchased a small cherry and a pineapple liquid from a local store. The taste was so rancid I almost upchucked my lunch. In both of them. I then bought a bottle of Freedom E-Juice Mentholic. It’s fantastic and tastes very clean. I then ran out while in Vegas this week and bought a Blue menthol. Same old rancid taste as the others. Do you know what this horrible taste is? I visited a Vape store on the strip last night and it was full of vapor smoke. I could smell the bad smell in there. Did I just get lucky with the Freedom that I bought? There must be something I don’t know

Gisele May 13, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Thank you!! Very helpful and to the point!

Molly May 18, 2014 at 6:18 am

As an AGGIE alum, I appreciate you even more now!!

DC June 2, 2014 at 7:40 am

Please help me with this question. I am having breathing problems since switching over, and I’m afraid I might have a problem with PG. Could this be a possible side affect and if so can I buy these liquids without the PG? – See more at: http://www.vapegeek.com/2011/02/what-does-pgvg-mean-what-kind-of-e-liquid-do-i-order/#comment-13122