What Does % PG/%VG Mean? What Kind Of E-Liquid Do I Order?

by Christina Jones on February 9, 2011

vegetable-glycerine What are all of those choices when ordering e-liquid?  40/60, 20/80, 50/50??  What does it all mean??

E-liquid is a mixture of varying amounts of about 4 different ingredients.  Nicotine, PG (propylene glycol), VG (vegetable glycerin) and flavoring.  Some liquids can have additional ingredients, but for the most part, these are the main ingredients to all e-liquid.

The amount of nicotine is dependent on the strength of nicotine in your e-liquid, but let’s say it is around 10% nicotine.  Somewhere around 10% of your e-liquid will be flavoring.  That leaves 80% of the liquid in your bottle for fillers, which dilute the flavoring and the nicotine.  This is where PG and VG come in, and depending on how you like your vape, that determines the percentage of PG and VG in your e-liquid.

Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is a thick, sweet liquid.  VG produces luscious clouds of vapor.  VG also imparts a sweeter taste to your liquid.

Propylene Glycol (PG) is a much thinner tasteless liquid.  PG produces more of a “throat hit” than VG does, which simulates the feel of smoking better.  PG also has a higher rate of sensitivity for some people, meaning that some people just can’t use PG in their vape.

My recommendation is to start out with a 50/50 mix of PG and VG in your e-liquid.  Then after you have tried it, you can make adjustments on your next order.  If you aren’t getting enough throat hit to satisfy you, then next time try a 30/70 VG/PG mix.  If you want more pillowy clouds of smoke, then maybe a 70/30 VG/PG mix is for you.

This, along with the information about choosing the right amount of nicotine for you, should take care of any questions you might have when placing an order.  The only thing left to decide is which of the myriad of available flavors you would like to try – and the size (start small, then if you love the flavor, go big!)!

I know it’s confusing at first, but you will soon get the hang of it – I promise!

Shop for e-liquid at the Vapegeek Store!

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Tony May 28, 2012 at 9:43 am

Thank you! I found this very helpful! Gotta love the web.

Lorie Folk August 25, 2012 at 12:59 am

Very helpful, thank you!

Christina Jones August 25, 2012 at 8:18 am

Thanks you guys – it is good to know someone reads all this stuff! :)

John September 22, 2012 at 8:30 am

Thanks. I like the VG which is sweet.

gayle October 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thank you!!!!!! Geeze I was so lost lol =0)

Valera October 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm

This is the perfect guide. Start at 50, if you want more smoke then go more VG, if you dont feel the smoke partion of it, then go for PG. Thanks! i tried to explain this to a friend, but this is better.

Michael October 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Thank you for this guide, it was just what I was looking for and very helpful. A 50/50 blend seems to be working good for me, but it is good to know what PG/VG actually is, so I can be more informed about what changing their values will do.
THanks!

paul October 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hi, just have a general question. Is it possable that i am aleergic to The PG lquid it seems to make my eyes and sinusis puffy?

Christina Jones October 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Everyone – thanks again for letting me know this is helpful to you. Maybe it will kick me in the butt to get some more writing done! ;)

Paul – I answered you via email, but I am going to paste it here as well, in case someone else who meanders by might get some benefit from it.

It is likely you have a sensitivity, at least, to the PG. In the year and a half I have been in business, one of the most surprising things to me is how many people are at least a little sensitive to PG. I understood when I started in this business that it was really a rarity, and probably a full blown allergy is rare, but sensitivities I have found to be fairly common. Probably 1 in 10 people or so, I have found. The symptoms I have seen range from coughing, throat irritation, chest pains and yes, even one with sinus problems. Now, PG is really drying to you, so you want to be sure and drink plenty of liquids (water, preferably). It is possible that you are a little dehydrated and that is the sinus problem you are seeing. If I were you, I would do two things – first, start making a real effort to increase your water intake, especially while you are vaping. And second, get a juice with 100% VG and try it for a week and see what difference it makes. I would try the water first, order some juice, and then try the juice, so you arent doing both trials at the same time.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Thanks again, yall. :) And good luck figuring it out (again) Paul!

Edwardo55 November 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hi Christina,
This was very helpful. I have been buying product from various websites but would be interested in checking out what you have. (You said you were in business) Do you have a website showing pricing and whatnot?
Thanks.
-E

Christina Jones November 11, 2012 at 1:53 am

Hi Edwardo – Thanks so much. I do have a website, and you are here. :) Click the links to the left for the individual item categories, or the “Shop Vapegeek” button on the red navigation bar above to go to the storefront. Or just click right here. :)

Rizal January 10, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hye there, i just wondering, is it possible to just use VG rather than mix VG & PG? Thanks

Amanda January 22, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Thank you. this site is SO USEFUL!!!! :)

Rvgirl January 23, 2013 at 5:16 am

It’s important to note that the combination you use will only work with certain clearomizers. For example, I tried to use another company’s e-liquid that is 60% PG and 40% VG with the V2 LiquiMax clearomizers (V2 Premium e-liquid is pure PG) and it clogs up the clearomizer and won’t vape. I’ve found this out recently and it’s very frustrating.

robert March 1, 2013 at 4:26 am

amigos gostaria de fazer uma pergunta: Eu comprei uma base de vg usp e a essencia de tabacco sem nicotina. Como não tenho pg gostaria de saber se o vaper vai ficar bom utilizando somente VG + essencia. Caso positivo gostaria de saber qual a dosagem de VG + essencia. lembrado que uso o EGo tank uma vez que muito provavel somente VG vai ficar muito espesso e devido a isso o pavio nao consiga sulgar o produto para dentro do atomizador. gratos

Chris March 4, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thank you! Really appreciate the explanation. You answered my questions!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Tariq March 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I saw a website selling e-liquid and having different % of VG. I’m confused which level should I order. I like a balanced between cloudy and taste .

0% VG
20% VG
33% VG MEL Custom Blend
40% VG
50% VG
* Flavor Strength:
Light
Medium
Full

Christina Jones March 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Hi Tariq – if you like a balance, I would start out with the 50% VG, then you can adjust from there if that doesn’t quite get things perfect for you. All of the liquids I made are at a 50/50 level, and most people are happy with them at that level. I know I am, so maybe you will be too. Good luck! If you would like to try ours, you can find them right here: [Link to VapeGEEK e-liquids]

Toni June 5, 2013 at 12:55 am

Just bought some “Pure Hookah” liquid from a local smoke shop
& it says 20/80 Eg-Pg,
Any idea what the Eg is? I can’t find this anywhere online & am a little nervous to use it.

Thanks!