FAQ: My e-Cigarette is LEAKING all over the place–HELP?

by Christina Jones on January 11, 2013

or: Leaking:  The Word of the Week

So while burnt out atomizers were the words of the last couple weeks, LEAKING is the word of this week. Often accompanied by: "I’m going to throw this *^*%^&%& thing out the window in 1 minute if this doesn’t stop!!!"

First off all, take a deep breath. And one leaky hit of that e-cig if you need to. Get your kleenex to mop up the mess – we will wait.
screwything
Ok, leaking occurs fairly commonly in several devices. Im going to address the easy one first:

The T2/eGoCC cartomizer

This little, inexpensive jobby does have a dastardly tendency to leak. This can possibly be caused by getting liquid down the center tube, but if you are positive you haven’t done that, try giving the little screw-y looking thing (pictured) on the bottom side of the cartomizer a half turn with your fingernail, a knife or a screwdriver (or any thin flat thing you can get in there). Just a half turn. Put it back on your battery and try it again. If it is still leaking, try the half turn thing a couple more times. After that, it is time to give up. Thats right – toss it. Its an inexpensive little cartomizer, if you have gotten 2-3 weeks life out of it, its probably good. More than that and its gravy. Do note that its siblings, the T3 and T4, have not had the leaking problems that the finicky T2 has had. Some folks really try to suck every bit of life out of these cartomizers that they can give – and that is fine – but know that you can just toss it. Its inexpensive and we have more.

The other leaking problems I have been seeing lately are with the

eGo-C/eCab/eRoll

Those devices utilizing a tank system and more specifically, the eGo-C tank system can get pretty darned leaky.

Let me start by saying that the liquid feeds into the atomizer a little differently in these devices. Prior devices used good old gravity along with wicking to get the job done. This one uses a little wicking (did you know there was a tiny little wick in that atomizer – look down the spike), and a lot of surface tension and vacuum. So, picture the Oreck bowling ball advertisement, where they are holding the bowling ball up with their super vacuum suction. What would happen if I pulled the other end of that vacuum hose out of the vacuum cleaner? Right – it would drop that ball right on your toe, along with anything else that hose might have been holding. The same is true if you break the vacuum in your tank e-cigarette.

I tell you to fill up your cartridge leaving a mm or two of headspace – that gets us going in the right direction with the vacuum/surface tension thing. Once you take a few draws off of that fully filled and recently put together e-cigarette, you have created a little vacuum in that cartridge (picked up the bowling ball). All is well. You vape along for a bit. Then something happens to break the tension. You pull the cartridge out to look at it or show to someone. Maybe you twist it around looking for something to do with your fingers. Maybe you slam it down on the table (ouch). Whatever it is, you have broken that suction (pulled the hose out of the vacuum cleaner), and like the bowling ball, its going to drop its load on your toe. Or your table. Or your shirt. The halfway point, when half your liquid in your cartridge is gone, is a real danger zone. Break the tension there, and Ill guarantee you the other half of your liquid is coming out, like a flood.

So – what to do? First off – fully load your tank cartridge with e-liquid, put it into the e-cig, and either vape it, or leave it alone (I recommend VAPE IT!). If you find yourself playing with it, or if you have to take the cartridge out for some reason, refill it before you put it back into the e-cig. Then take a few hits to get the suction going again. Not too hard, eh?

Other Tank Related Leaking Issues

There are some other issues that can cause your problem – this one is related to lack of power. If your atomizer is bad, or your battery dead-ish, you are not vaporizing the liquid, and all the messing around/sucking/shaking/cussing you are doing is going to eventually break any tension in there. Use your extra battery/atomizer to test and see which part is bad/going bad and get it replaced.

You can also have a problem with leaking when your tank cartridges get old and need to be replaced.  The act of taking it out, refilling and putting it back into your e-cigarette will eventually cause that little hole in the cap to enlarge.  After a week or two, if you experience leaking, it is probably time to change cartridges.  We do have silicone caps available that can extend the life of your cartridge – put one on when your cartridge gets leaky and that will get you through another week or two.  We have those caps for the eGo-C Type A and B as well as caps for the eCab.

Just today I had a customer who was at her wits end with her new eCab – it was leaking like crazy and just not performing like it should – like it did 2 days before when she bought it. She came over this evening, somewhat desparately, and we went through the testing procedures. I really thought it was her atomizer that was dying/half dead from dry vaping (visions of the last two weeks), but it wasn’t. Her atomizer worked perfectly in my eCab. Then I decided it must be the battery housing – then the end cap – nope and nope. Neither battery was working properly in her e-cig and I finally determined that her charger must have a dysfunction and it had damaged both of her batteries. I sent her on her way with a new charger and two new batteries, and I really think thats going to solve her problem.

fleur
The bottom line is this. Yes, this is a new habit, and its a wee bit more complicated than the old one. I PROMISE you that when you get through the learning curve, you are really going to be happy you had the patience to stick to it. This is one good reason I recommend you NOT cut down on your nicotine at first – not until you learn that e-Cigarette backwards and forewards. I promise you that had the lady this evening not chosen to go with the high strength nicotine liquid I recommended, she would have thrown her eCab out the window and written e-Cigs off as a failure. But as it was, she was able to squeak out enough nicotine to keep her sane while she figured out this problem, and I am sure she is going to become a devotee. :)

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Emily March 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Hello all, this is going to be under the leaky topic. I have been smoking a ego-c slim (the one with the button, and the triple A looking battery) for about a month and a half now. My sister in law is now interested in using one, and mine is now her favorite smoking device. The only issue is, when she is done (she won’t listen to me about how to smoke the dang thing) she hands it back, and i go to hit it but its soggy and leaking but only at the mouth piece. Is she hitting it to hard? Not holding the button? What is going on!!! I have had to replace my cartridge now twice. Its coming to the point were when the “can i use your cigarette” question comes up, the answer is g looking to be NOOOOOO!!! Please offer some helpful advice for me!!!
Sincerely,
Trying to be sweet sister in law

Mike June 5, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Emily,

From my experience I would say that when she is using it, she is not keeping the button pressed enough in relation to her draw. This means that she is using it like a straw and the liquid is not being vaporized thus the liquid in the mouthpiece. Sometime new vapors have a tendency to feel the heat and release the button my continue to draw.

Kind of the same effects as if the battery was not working properly.

When she releases the button she should draw for an additional second and then stop. This will ensure that she gets all the vapor and does not treat it like a straw.
Also slow steady draws and not treating it like a straw in a milk shake should solve this issue..

FYI.. Auto batteries would probably be good for her to use until she gets used to vaping.

Enjoy!!

Amber Baker April 29, 2013 at 1:03 am

I want to thank you for helping to solve an annoying (and messy) problem. I have no more leaks!

Christina Jones May 4, 2013 at 5:58 am

Awesome to hear Amber! Glad it helped. Reading that now, I feel much more confident than I was when I wrote that post on the subject of leaking. Leaking is – 95% of the time – a power issue. Your liquid is not receiving enough power to turn it into a vapor. Simple as that. Go ahead, suck the life out of that e-cig, hoping it will produce some delish vapor – go on! Guess what happens? That liquid you are sucking has no place to go but out, and out it does indeed go. Improve your odds against leaking also by keeping your device over halfway full. That is OVER halfway full. I suspect it has something to do with the vaccuum pressure. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. Thanks so much!

Angie Johnson June 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I purchased an eGo-T from a local store that opened up recently. This leaking problem has happened twice now. I go to take a hit, and get e-liquid all over my lips. This is after it has been off and not been used for a couple hours. Is this thing faulty or am I not vaping this thing right? I paid out my back end for this thing, and am a little disappointed at this point.

kane May 5, 2014 at 9:49 am

Never ever lie the vapour down as the liquid poures out the end (where you put you lips) and only take long slow hits dont suck on it like a straw just do it gently.

Antanas June 18, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Can I lay down my e-cig? o it should be in up position all the time? I have Ego-CE4.

Antanas June 18, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Sorry, because is leaking then i lay it down….

Vanarte January 30, 2014 at 6:37 am

Let’s take a look at the facts:Electronic cigarette indintreges usually three:* Propylene glycol (for? vapor),* Water (after vaporized),* Nicotine (in varying strengths, or omitted entirely)Regular tobacco cigarettes 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes

Josh July 3, 2013 at 3:15 am

I just got the vapor x pen with a clearomizer. I love the thing, one problem that worries me just a bit; when I hit the thing one little drop gets on my battery connection. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I don’t overfill it and nothing gets in the center hole, tried blowing it out and no liquid comes out. I have no idea.

Taylor July 7, 2013 at 12:50 am

Hi there, quite an interesting and helpful read to understand these types of e-cigs more. I just recently got an eGo-C Twist from a buddy of mine, brand new and I’m loving it, or was until I had a leakage problem that I hope you or someone could shine some light on. The battery works fine and I’ve been using the device pretty frequently and wasn’t getting any problems until about 2 days or so ago where eJuice was leaking out of the tank somehow. Like how there are two windows on it so you can see how much juice you have, yeah, it’s leaking out of that. Sometimes even seeps out of where the atomizer and tank are connected. Some insight of what’s going on would be really appreciated if you or anyone is still active on this blog :)

susan July 26, 2013 at 3:50 pm

just got my e cig for overnights at work,im just wondering after i fill it can it lay on its side,i got a pouch for it and put it in my bag is it ok or does all the liquid have to be out of it first

Kaco October 27, 2013 at 11:10 am

Hi. I’ve had my tornado ego c nor two days now, first day great, second not so good, liquid down to half full, and when I press the button to take a drag it makes a crackle and bubbling sound, and as I put my lips to it, it splits liquid at me, this can’t be normal? So I took it all apart cleaned it all, ‘re filled, which lead to the liquid pouring out the other end all over me while I’m pouring it in, very slowly of course. Didn’t happen day before. And it’s still making the noises, bubbling and splitting, what’s going on? My partner has one too doing the same thing but happened within hours of getting it, did all of above and it’s calmed a little but not good enough. Help

Kaco October 27, 2013 at 11:15 am

Also press button for second or two before taking drag and I don’t take heavy or hard drags, I like slow and long. Which is how I have been advised, we did so much reading up on this before hand hoping this wouldn’t happen so not sure where we are going wrong.

mitzi December 13, 2013 at 6:18 am

I’ve. tried. everything. out there to quit smoking. and so. far vapor. cigarette. is the only. thing that’s working. for me I love it

sean December 25, 2013 at 9:01 am

I just bought a atomizer from a local smoke shop. My problem is when I fill it to 2.0 ml it starts leaking like crazy all over the battery and outside the carbs. It drops to 1.6 ml I can get it to stop at that point but idk what it is? I made sure it doesn’t go down the hole in the middle so that cant be it. I haven’t taken it apart yet so something might be loose i tightened the little flat head screw at the bottom and it doesn’t seem to work. The atomizer i have is a cylinder tube with two screen looking holes on each side and the liquid surrounds it. Could it be the rubber cap thats on top ? I just started vaping so I’m still learning.

Brook January 8, 2014 at 12:55 am

I have an egoc twist and a Kanger pro tank 2. I bought the 2.2 ohm coil units because the smaller one leaked. I set it up and I cannot suck any smoke out of it. I tried a second time and the whole tank of liquid sucked through into my mouth. Is this just the wrong size coil or did I do something wrong in setup?

Amy January 29, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I have a slightly unusual problem, to which I can’t seem to find the solution (or at least a reason) online. Does anyone know what could be causing the vape (the actual white smoke) to leak into the liquid container of the atomiser? The ecig in question is a standard ego-t.

Renee February 17, 2014 at 11:51 pm

I used the Blu cigarette, which I liked very much except the charger device on one broke. The second one, it’s lost somewhere in the car with new cartridges. It’s just too cold to go searching in the car. Anyway, I purchased the Voodoo device. I finally managed to assemble the gadget and put the oil where it supposed to go. When I inhaled, it was like inhaling pepper spray. I also tried the pre-assembled oil cartridge. This device will not help anyone quit smoking by weening the person off of nicotine. I might add, a major component of the cigarette addiction is also physical and ritualistic in nature, where the person inhales and exhales the smoke. It becomes a very addictive ritual of blowing smoke out of one’s nose and mouth. It’s like someone rubbing a dog’s head kind of thing. This ritual is very relaxing to people, who are definitively addicted. My suggestion, rent a log cabin in upstate NY. Get to the cabin right before a huge snowstorm. Make sure you are stocked up on food and other necessities. Leave the cigarettes at home. By the time one is buried out of the snow (which is probably two to three months), you’ve gone cold turkey and quit smoking (for the most part, since there will be a cigarette here, a cigarette or two there for about ten years until one finally quits for good never to pick up a cigarette again). Quitting is a long process, and these pipes are not the answer. Blu-cigarettes and NJOY are the closest thing to cigarettes. The Blue-cigarettes have three strengths, which is good. Nicorette gum is extremely addictive to the degree where one will find oneself in detoxification like a drug addict. Nicorette also causes vasculitis of the colon, where the person actually perforates his or her colon. That’s not fun and literally ruins about one to two years of your life. On the other hand, you won’t be smoking cigarettes or anything.

Marko April 6, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Hi,
I have been searching the web but I cannot find anything of use to my problem so I decided to try and seek help/advice here.
I have two (new) ego-cc cartomizers that I got in a pack with eGo-C cigarettes (bought two kit’s). I decided to use them instead of regular C type A “head”. I have a problem with filling them. First time I filled them it was fine. I read the manual and everything, upside down, center whole, push juice in etc. Every time after that when juice gets bellow ~50% (sometimes even bellow 20%) when I start filling it up juice builds up ABOVE the tip and starts leaking into the side airflow holes/vents and then proceeds to drip down trough the mouth piece. :S I thought it has something to do with silicone cap, plastic tip on the juice bottle and pressure/air thing whatnot and I bought a syringe to use it for filling. I came back home, I took some juice with syringe, put the needle in the center hole and put it deep in the tank, more than half way into it and…same thing happened :( juice went upwards somehow and leaked into air ducts on the side. I have no clue how this can even be possible. Happens on both ego-CC tanks. Of course, I can blow into the holes afterwards to get juice out of them, then I clean the mess and I can use the cigarette (tank fills in the same time as the leaking upwards occurs, weird but I can see both happening at the same time) but it’s a frustrating mess. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I am using Ovale e-juice and Ovale ego-cc tanks. I am frustrated at this point :S I am wasting both e-juice and time with this. I have a bit heavier draw and I failed at using regular ego-C tank system since it eventually floods in my mouth and I can’t be bothered to train my brain for that but I also had a filling issue with those cartridges as well, same thing, juice goes up the tinny hole but way way less then with eGo-CC. I thought syringe would solve my problem it being metal needle, inserted deep into the tank but it didn’t.
Any advice? (save for tossing them all away and buying a true cartomizer with removable mouth piece that opens the tank up for filling. I never had problem with those, except for less vapor and taste then Ego-C/CC provides…(I was using some real cheap ones).

Thanks in advance.

Nate April 8, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Hey guys i have a gravity battery and the button fell back in side the battery so now it won’t work what can I do to fix it

mitchell April 24, 2014 at 12:19 am

I on a whine bought a vaporizer. I agreed to quiet cigarettes and figured this is a great substitute. I used my vaporizer for about a month and it started building up fluid on the inside the tip where it comes of the rubber barrier around the wick. I bought a new head and same problems. I know I bought a gas station special but it worked so well for a while and dont really have a lot of extra money for the expensive nm ones at the head shops. Does anyone know a website or a type that’s not 50 bucks or higher that still works well. ( I only paid ten bucks and defflintly
got my moneys worth)

kane May 4, 2014 at 4:56 am

Can anyone help me sort this leak ….. I baught a top for electric vapour and some liquid i then attatched it to a old baterry my aunt gave me to save me money on buying the whole kit £35 infact ….. But it keep leaking in the middle next to the button i clean in all down and dry it to make sure … And a hour later when i.go to use it oil is leaking on the button and i keep getting it on my fingers :-( it stinks … Can anyone help?

Brandon June 2, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I cant get my mouthpiece off

Brandon June 2, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I can’t get my mouthpiece off and I’m using the ego the flavoured vapour